So I’m not sure if this happens to everyone, but this has happened to me a lot.
5 am the alarm rings…"Yawn, yawn and yawn.”
On those very tiring days you stay in bed a few extra minutes, wondering if that job or class is worth going for.
Finally, you get up and then its prayer time. You’ve learned that the best way to start your day is with prayer and so you start with a worship song and all of a sudden your phone beeps and you’re like, “let me quickly check it,” or you remember "I didn’t put the leftovers away last night,” so you quickly rush to the kitchen. Or you just remember that you haven't completed that assignment and then you say, “Let me quickly get this done first after I will finish up my prayer,” but oftentimes you just never go back to it and get on with the daily routine.
Whatever form it comes in, distractions usually occur during time with God. We just remember that thing we were supposed to do and get carried away somehow. We know God is ever merciful and very understanding so we just conclude God understands. The importance of time with God cannot be over-emphasized.
Joshua 1:8 instructs us thus: “This Book of the Law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do according to all that is written in it. For then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have good success”.
In this article we are going to talk about 6 ways to minimize distraction during time with God. I have itemized them in bullet points below.
Order: Order is the accurate arrangement of things. It increases productivity (Ephesians 5:15-17 - MSG). Sometimes we get distracted because we are not orderly. For instance, you have planned your day from the previous day, ironed your clothes, packed your bag, and checked that all the tasks and assignment have been completed. It’s just natural that you wake up not so tensed, you have more time for God this way and you are able to concentrate because you have put everything in order (1 Corinthians 9: 24-27).
- Focus: Somehow in this world we live in, our phones seem to get the better part of our time, whether it’s Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube or checking our emails; there’s always something to do with our phones, and it just seems normal to check our messages first thing when we wake up. However, you have got to be deliberate about this one. You just have to stay focused, and nobody is going to be able to do this for you, it’s an individual task. Why not put your mobile data off, turn off that phone, put it on silence or lock it up somewhere. Focus gets you to achieve a lot and God would be thrilled that you count Him most important in your life.
- Write it down: Okay so what if I have put all in order, I’m all focused no phone to distract me but suddenly I remember I ought to do something; can’t I quickly go do that and come back to pray? Why not keep paper and pen beside you and write it down, that way you won’t forget and you get to do that thing after you have spent quality time with God, really when you do things the right way, it’s a win-win at the end of the day.
- Be Specific: Having a specific time and place helps too. If you have a particular place just make sure the distractions aren't much. And peradventure you wake up later than usual, don’t skip prayer time, instead try and combine it. You can do that morning jog and still pray at the same time, have that brisk shower and spend time communing with God. The goal is not to skip time with God but to do your best to remain consistently connected with Him.
- Set The Right Atmosphere: Something I have done myself is endeavor to make the atmosphere conducive, example before I go to bed I put on my music app on my phone and set it to a particular song and because when I wake up and grab my phone that’s the first thing I see and just sort of play it and it helps my flow. Another thing I do is connect to online Internet radios applications e.g. (Cozairadio). There’s nothing like waking up to the sweet melody of worship. Whether a worship song, a previous message or a declaration make sure that you wake up in the right atmosphere, it would make things easier for you and you would be able to flow well.
- Ask: Most importantly you need to pray and ask God for help. When it’s all said and done only Him can help us, all of our help cometh from the Lord. So ask the Holy Spirit to help you, John 14:13-14 “And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son”.
This list is not inexhaustible but I sure pray it helps. May God grant us all the wisdom and strength we need to be consistent with Him. Remember that Consistency is the key to break through, so you cannot afford to be distracted at all. When prayer and spending time with God and His word becomes your habit, miracles become your lifestyle.